Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Linda Bloomfield

While home bound by a 24 hour flu last weekend, I came up with a fabulous idea! Each month, I am going to write about a ceramic artist, whose work has inspired me and challenged me to re-examine certain aspects of my own designs.

First on the list is one of my all time favorite ceramic artists, Linda Bloomfield, from London, UK.


Her ceramics are thoughtfully and perfectly hand thrown. Each piece is made to be handled and used everyday. Its beauty lies in its simplicity, purity, form, and elegance. Linda creates utilitarian ware at its best. Her colaboration with Ruth Cross to add the crocheted cosies is unique, ingenious, and oh so functional all at the same time!

Linda's work inspires me to spend more time on the pottery wheel, to really think about the shape of my pieces. She reminds me that less is more and that I should design pieces with strength and good form to encourage daily use. After all, what are tableware for? but to be enjoyed and used everyday.

The photos are from Linda Bloomfield's website.

1 comment:

Cynthia said...

Her work is lovely, quiet and something that I would love to hold. Thank you for sharing her pieces with us. I hope you feel better!