Friday, August 3, 2007

Bad, Worse, Disaster...

I posted a little blurb about this pitcher last week. Some of you expressed interest in it so I thought maybe you would like to see how it turned out. At first, it wasn't too bad when I glanced at it from across the room. The glazes weren't as bright as I had hoped, but at least, they didn't crack or bleed.


Then I walked over to the shelf for a closer look and turned the pitcher slightly. Well, bad turned into worse. One of the glazes I was testing melted right off the flower center. It was supposed to be marine blue in color, but now, more like a blend of burgundy and purple?

I then turned the pitcher some more. What I saw was a complete disaster! One of the balls literally slid down the body of the pitcher. Linda Aubry from Ambrosia Porcelain had wrote to me about this. Now I've experienced it first hand.


Oh well, what can I say, you win some, you loose some. This one will go in the trash bin. I can always make another...

6 comments:

Cynthia said...

If this is the first time you've made this piece, then I say you've been successful! It's little bit of live and learn with ceramics, don't you think?

Denise Rosier said...

Chi, the pitcher is still adorable. I agree with Cynthia, you have to give yourself props for making it to begin with. The concept is really cute.

Don't put it in the trash bin! I'll take it!!!! It's too cute to throw away.

Chi said...

It's so true Cynthia. Making ceramics is a live and learn process. I have a big trash bin to prove it.

Thanks D! Are you sure you want it?

*sarahdippity said...

oh chi!! im sorry it didn't turn out the way you expected!! man ... you can only do so much ... the rest is up for grabs huh?!

but still ... it's so very lovely and whimsical! dont throw it away! i'd be glad to purchase it! i'm serious!! :) i love it for all its imperfections! they give your beautiful much character! is it possible for me to claim this one?! ;) but if you've already assigned it someone else, i'll eagerly await the next, however it may turn out!

Anonymous said...

Chi,
It is so cute! Bummer it has it's little issues. I still love it! You did a great job with the idea and everything. Not your fault the glaze is temperamental!!
~Nat

Linda said...

Oh no! Horrifying, isn't it! My 3 little tea bowls with the wandering beads are in my garden now - the honeybees like to drink from them, so they're useful in their own way. Your pitcher is really pretty and I love the birds!
linda